Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Larry-CP 1

I finally found my conversation partner(s) AND tutee(s). Their names are Rosa and Miyra (I'll double check "Miyra's" spelling next Monday, when we meet for our first class and another CP session). They live in nearby Fort Walton Beach. They were referred to me by a good friend and recent co-worker, who's name is Heidi. Heidi is from Columbia. Rosa and Miyra are from Guatemala. It did not take me very long to evaluate their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skill levels. They are Group Ones, levels 1 and 2. I'm sure the session took at least an hour. It seemed like five or six! I only survived because of my Group One, level 1 Spanish speaking ability! Heidi had directed me to their home address and had probably prepped my coming with a warning phone call. Rosa and Miyra were gracious and quickly invited me into their house. I soon discovered there were two complete families living in the house, and I could probably recruit their husbands and a young son as additional tutee and conversational victims. I asked one of the husbands if he played soccer, and he indicated "yes...he did." We talked about soccer and the USA's recent humiliation by Mexico. I told him I thought I recognized him as I had refereed numerous soccer games involving local teams comprised of local Guatemalans, El Salvadorianse Mexicans, and other nationalities. He said with a smile he remembered me, so I assumed I did ok as a referee. I thought, now if I can just succeed as a TEFL(ESL) teacher!

Halfway through our conversation(s), the young boy came running into the living room and looked up at me. He too was all smiles. I tested him with an introduction and he responded quite well. I surmised he had already picked up considerable language skills at his local elementary school. I didn't ask how long they had been in Fort Walton Beach. However, I made a personal note to make him my translator, when I got into trouble. I was able to ascertain the husbands were in the building trades. We strugged through the remaining conversation creating a schedule that fitted all of us. I left happy feeling I had hours and hours of the simplest things of which we could find meaningful conversation, and I could start with the fundamentals of lesson planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment