Thursday, September 1, 2011

Camille TP7

Last night I also hung out with Hassan for a large amount of time and I talked more in depth about my vacation to New York and then over to Reno, Nevada/California. When retelling my stories, I had to explain many things to Hassan that he had never heard of.. some examples include; houseboat, a resort, rock-climbing wall, etc. Then he told me all about his trips to Miami and Tampa. While he would tell his stories, I would correct him and then ask him to go back and repeat the sentence. This made the story-telling process last much longer but I could tell that Hassan was eager to learn and perfect his English. Later into the conversation, Hassan explained to me the importance of the holiday that marked the end of Ramadan and other customary traditions that Muslims partake in when doing this celebration. I always love to learn about their culture because it is SO different from what I was raised to believe. I find it so interesting that these people are the same age as me, and attend the same university, yet they hold such strong, traditional beliefs. Throughout the conversation I also quizzed Hassan on the new vocabulary he had learned earlier from my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment