Monday, September 19, 2011

Camille-TP9

I met with Hassan last week at CIES and we conversed for a while about each other's lives before jumping into tutoring. During the conversation I would correct his English and pronunciation (because he asked me to) and then would make him repeat the correct phrasing back to me. Hassan and I worked on a practice TOEFL exam even though he now plans on taking the IELTS exam since apparently it is much easier and in result the grades are much higher. We did not go through the entire exam but rather worked on specific areas that he was unsure of or struggling with. I think he feels that I should not have to tutor him and that he should be doing everything on his own. But I have to constantly remind him that I am here for him and that English is not an easy language. He also brought me a rough draft of his "Statement of Purpose" in which I edited and talked him through. He now has to re-write it and we will see how his progress moves forward from there. The area that Hassan wants to work on the most in preparation for his tests is speaking. He is very self conscious of his accent although I told him he needs to embrace it. He has about the best English out of any other CIES student I have come in contact with.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you still at it, Camille! Try to collect his errors in writing (Error Log) and prepare a quiz based on them. This will focus Hassan to study his errors and reinforce how to write correctly.

    ReplyDelete