Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Camille-TP10

I met with Hassan last week and he told me all about his classes. His level of English is the best out of anyone I have comin the in contact with at CIES. We met in the CIES lounge and all he wanted to do was work on listening to English because that is what he is struggling with the most. He is also still working on his statement of purpose but I told him he must work on it in the upcoming week. So we sat back to back in a classroom and I told him various stories and facts. I would then tell him to repeat the story back to me at an equally fast pace and initially he struggled with this exercise but then he eventually got the hang of it. Sometimes after each time we ran the exercise, instead of him repeating it back to me, I asked him specific questions about my narrative. Other times, I would face him and tell him a story (for example: Goldilocks and the Three Bears according to Camille Trzcinski). He always found it much easier to recognize and understand English when he can watch the person speak, which is understandable. We ran this exercise for quite some time and then we switched, I had him tell random stories while we were back to back and I would repeat it back to him. He enjoyed the fact that I was playing the role of a student instead of constantly being the tutor. I like this method of switching roles and I will probably utilize this method later in my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment