Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Erin - CP 7

Tea time yesterday was incredibly fun. While I was waiting for my conversation partner Antonia to show up, I chatted with Daniela about restaurants and family reunions...because I had a few questions about a somewhat-awkward family reunion that my co-workers and I attended a few days ago. When Antonia showed up, we talked about how her week had been and how her day had been, and she told me about how stressful it was because they are taking the TOEFL examinations. She asked if I was going to the dinner Friday and told her that, regretably, I can't because I have to work. When I asked her what she was going to bring, she said spicy tofu, which is apparently very popular in Taiwan, along with rice and noodles. I was curious if she ate meat, because most people I know who eat tofu only do so because they are a vegetarian. She assured me that she does eat meat, just not beef....although she immediately told me that it was not for religious reasons. Apparently, farmers in Taiwan own cows, but it is because they are very helpful in laying the rice in the rice patties. Therefore, cows are seen as a helpful farming companion instead of as food. A few other CIES students came over to our table and started to play BS with us, which we explained to Antonia. After that, Muhammad explained to us how to play the Winking Game, which is apparently very common in the Middle East; he had a little difficulty describing the rules, but I think he did a great job, considering he was doing it in his second language. We all figured out how to play and had a really great time, and even made some small talk on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment