Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jung- CP9

Another conversation meeting with Adel, at Starbucks on Wednesday…

He showed up with his friend, Metib and it was bit awkward for me because half of our meeting, they spoke to each other in Arabic. Every time when they spoke Arabic to each other, I suggested for them to speak English, not only so that I can understand what they were talking about, but for them to practice their conversational English. But they used the excuse of how either they don’t know how to say that in English or can’t understand each other if they spoke in English. Adel was really hungry so I suggested that we try Pizza Hut. It was their first time eating at Pizza Hut, so I was bit worried if they would like it or not since I don’t know what kind of food they are used to. We carefully looked over the menu and talked about what we wanted on our pizza. I asked them what kind of crust they would like as I pointed a picture on the menu, but they thought I pointed to the pepperoni so they strongly refused. We ended up ordering veggie lovers with stuffed crust, good thing I only like vegetables on my pizza because Metib did not want his pizza to have any contact with any meat. Metib and I had similar taste in food; we both don’t like cheese. I grabbed some banana peppers from the salad bar and asked Metib to try them. At first, Metib refused to try them because he thought it was a banana, but when he tried it, his facial expression changed like fish back in water. I was happy to introduce them to a new experience and wonder what are next meetings would be like.

1 comment:

  1. "But they used the excuse of how either they don’t know how to say that in English or can’t understand each other if they spoke in English."

    When students express this, remind them that this "struggle" is an essential part of language learning.

    ReplyDelete