Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Erin - TP 11

I just came home from Maria's house and I am glad to say that I enjoy our tutoring sessions more and more everytime I go. Now when I arrive, she has started giving her children something to do or kicking them out to go to her friend's house, so that they are not there to distract us when we are trying to study. For the first hour and a half that I was there, we worked with the Eurotalk program, first studying food, then household items, and then how to tell time.
For the most part, she needed help with pronunciations, although there were a few words that she didn't quite understand or kept forgetting the definition of. However, when it came to telling time, she struggled a lot...especially with phrases such as "quarter til" and "half past". So it took me a while to explain this to her, but she finally seemed to get it.
We ate another wonderful Cuban dinner right after that. This one was very special because her friend, whom I had met a couple of times before, told me his story of how he got out of Cuba. He has a very strong accent, but he speaks English very well for the most part, so I understood everything...and his story was very moving. I was incredibly interested in what he had to say...and how he survived when arrived with absolutely nothing...and now I have the strongest desire to visit Cuba.
All in all, I feel that Maria is becoming more and more motivated to study English whenever she can and is slowly becoming more confident with my encouragement, and I feel that we are both learning a lot from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment