Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Camille-TP1

Last Thursday I arrived to the designated Tutoring time in order to be assigned a partner. I saw my Conversation partner named Abdulla along with his friends in the lounge. We talked for a little bit and then Hussan told me he requested to be my Tutoring partner. I was excited for this since I now have two students that speak Arabic. Hassan has spent a longer amount of time in Florida and was even previously studying in Tampa before he came to Tallahassee. Needless to say, his English is extremely refined and on point. I took him into a classroom where he handed me a vocab sheet with miscellaneous yet advanced words such as: "hardened criminal" and "mainstream." I explained the terms he was not familiar with but for the most part he knew about 75% of the vocabulary on the page. I also can speak with him at a normal speed yet I have to over articulate in order for him to understand the proper way of speaking. Today we will set up a schedule for the rest of the summer in order to fully explore and teach.

1 comment:

  1. It is lucky that you noticed that your pronunciation matters when trying to help someone else. I keep trying to catch myself when I say things in a very lax way; I tend to take this for granted, since Thomas understands American English and accents ery well, but I would like to practice being more precise for my tutee, who knows very little English.

    ReplyDelete