Monday, July 11, 2011

Jordan TP1

I met Metib at the tutoring common hour at CIES on June 28th (yes, I'm a little behind with these posts). From the start, I could tell that he would present a real challenge for me, because his English is practically non-existent. He did not understand simple verbs like to say, to tell, or even to like. It seemed pointless to try any kind of diagnostic work with him, which indicates a solid Level 1. I tried to ask him about his family back home, and why he came to America to learn English. Like almost everyone I've met from the Middle East in this program (again, almost), he is pursuing an MBA before returning to Saudi Arabia. Back at home, he works for his father, in a company that, as far as I can understand him (with a lot of pictures and some Arabic) builds roads.
To better help him, I contacted Ramin, who put me in contact with his teachers. I am working with his grammar and composition and teacher, Vicky Ledbetter, to try and help him make some progress in those skills. She is going to meet with us this coming Wednesday to show me what is going on in his classes, so I can begin to work out a plan for our tutoring sessions.
I used some Arabic with him, to help with basic words in questions I ask him, but I will not let that be a crutch to him. I have typed up a list of essential vocabulary in English and Arabic for him to study, so that he will be able to use the English words in our future sessions.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing how things progress, Jordan!

    ReplyDelete