Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Larry TP - 6

I met with Robin and Suk Joon from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm today. I'm trying to adhere to the VCLP (Virtuous Cycle of Lesson Planning). My strategy is to provide simple blocks of English to build from simpler to more complex sentences using adjectives, adverbs and regular verbs. I will try to give an extensive reading lesson base on the Reading Lesson Plan Template. We'll see! For this class, I presented the topics of vocabulary, definite/indefinite articles, and prepositions. We practiced vocabulary singulars and plurals. I asked both for definitions and examples in sentences. I threw in a few unorthodox singulars such as goose or mouse and ventured off the track a few times, when I felt there were useful things to learn. As an example, I would explain the term "flock" or "herd" or "school" and relate specific animals to each term in both singular and plural. I gave both feedback. Suk Joon stated he had only been in the US for three weeks, and I told him I was impressed with his knowledge of English. Robin wanted to respond with one word answers. I insisted he give me full yet simple sentences. There was no assessment with this lesson. However, I let them know I would probably be giving them a reading test as part of my Reading Lesson Template. Different vocabulary words would stimulate discussion on various subjects to include cooking, definition of physical body terms, etc. Both Robin and Suk Joon seemed eager and indicated most of my diversions were welcome and new information. I provided a handout and explained definite and indefinite articles. I gave verbal examples and asked them for participation as I started sentences on the board and asked them to finish using definite and indefinite articles where appropriate. As we were a bit late in starting, we only had time for a few prepositions. I ended the class telling them I would ask questions from the vocabulary next week. We also decided to go for Chinese food next Tuesday evening. They would have to provide directions and information regarding all the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment