Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nic-CP3

Dongseok, Jongoek, and I met this evening to play a few round of pool at my house. When they showed up, I had vegetable platter set out: tomatoes from my parent’s garden and two different types of homemade pickles my mom made. They really enjoyed that. Of course, that transitioned to talking about different sorts of food in America and Korea. As we played pool, there was some confusion between the difference between “pool” and “billiards”. I had to confess, as a native English speaker, I didn’t know the difference but that I would send them a message on Facebook. On the way home, Dongsoek was trying to explain to me a term for a part of the car’s tire, but I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about and there was not an exact English equivalent for the Korean word he was trying to express. It was a good example that there isn’t always a 1:1 equivalent for every word.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lot of fun! Homemade, homegrown veggies? You're really spoiling them! :P

    In my experience, not having 1:1 equivalents is a great way to force language learners to try to find different ways to explain things. Did you ever figure out what he was talking about? Maybe next time try to get him thinking of different ways to express words he doesn't know the English for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! No, I never did find out what he was talking about. Thanks for the tip Katie, I will use that the next time this sort of situation arises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to bring some of that homegrown goodness to class, Nic ;)

    ReplyDelete