Sunday, July 10, 2011

Brian - TP2

One can practice medicine or have a medical practice; a dental practice or practice dentistry; go to volleyball practice or football practice; practice a jump shot or practice arranging flowers. When does one practice a diet or practice working out or practice showering or practice activism? There are nuances in English words that flummox my tutee and myself. For me, it is how he applies these words that stump me (word choice), and perhaps for him, my reaction to what he is certain is correct. He looked it up in the dictionary, homie. When you make a habit of something, you're practicing it; according to the free dictionary dot com. It should make complete sense to me that if you eat healthily everyday, shower or workout, then you practice these things. Yet, I cannot get my head around using “practice” to discuss a lifestyle, as he writes: work long hours practice. *Sigh* A lifestyle can be a habit too. Somebody – make English tap out – at least on the international stage. Let's use Spanish.

1 comment:

  1. LOL ;) English is not a science, and it can rarely be explained through consistent rules. Yes, this does make life and learning English difficult, but this also stresses the importance of using the language (productive skills) and analyzing it in use (receptive skills).

    ReplyDelete