Saturday, July 2, 2011

Carlos-TP2

On Friday, I had planned to meet with Dongseok and Mohammed to work out certain specifics as well as set up our separate meet up times. Unfortunately, Dongseok had to cancel because he had to take care of rent related issues. I decided to go to the lounge early to meet with Mohammed and eat lunch before we began. Upon arriving, I found Mohammed waiting with some inconvenient news. He had to leave early in order to make it to prayer at a nearby mosque. Luckily I had gotten there early so I could make up for the time we would have lost had I got there at the planned time. This is my first time experiencing schedule conflictions with the tutees and I will make sure to learn from this. I had asked several times what would be most convenient for my tutees to meet with me the day we first met. They were both extremely friendly, but I think in a way, these scheduling conflicts were a result of being overly polite as well as being a little timid with me. This is perfectly understandable, and I will just make sure next time that our meeting time will be agreeable to both sides.
Because Mohammed was under time restraints, I had him write out a paragraph about the favorite place he's ever traveled to. I told him to just write it to the best of his ability and to just be comfortable with it. He wanted to focus on his proper grammar skills as opposed to his conversation skills, so I wanted to get an idea of how well he could form sentences. He was able to write half a page of English, double-spaced. When I looked over his work, I could tell what he was trying to write made sense when spoken. Unfortunately, this didn't translate well in his writing because many of the problems he had had to do with sentence structuring, use of commas, and spelling. I will make sure to focus on these key points and to look over his paragraph when we meet again.

1 comment:

  1. See what you can find on the Purdue OWL Writing Center: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

    ReplyDelete