Saturday, July 2, 2011

Katie- TP 2

I met with my second tutee, another Korean named JongOuk Park, on Thursday afternoon during the tutoring meeting. When I first arrived at CIES I actually met one of my conversation partners, Yasuko, and spoke with her until she was paired with a tutor. By the time all of this had occurred, though, it appeared that everyone already had a tutoring partner, so I sat with Jung, whose tutoring partner had to go home early. I saw her cousin JongOuk sitting alone, though, and had her call him over. I discovered he didn’t have a tutor, so I offered to tutor him.

We spoke briefly about what he was hoping to gain from a tutor. Unlike my other tutee, who is just hoping to improve on her English ability in general, he knew exactly what he wanted and how he wanted to go about it- making my job much easier. JongOuk is hoping to improve his pronunciation and listening skills by reading books or journals about daily American life and watching movies. He also wants to learn American slang like the phrase, “Leggo,” meaning, “Let’s go.” I’ll have to spend some time looking for blogs and magazines that suit his preferences, but I think tutoring him will be an enjoyable experience, especially since he appears to have direction, interest, and a clear goal in mind.

2 comments:

  1. "reading books or journals about daily American life". What do you think could be good materials for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a good contrast to your first tutee. I definitely think that it will be much easier to tutor someone who has a very clear goal of what they would like to achieve.

    ReplyDelete