Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jeff Dinert TP 1

I met with my tutees much like most of the class on Thursday the 30th of June, in the form of two fine gentlemen, the first; Abdhul Rahmand of Saudi Arabia, and the second; Nakjoon Koh of South Korea. Nakjoon had to run, so we agreed to speak that weekend, but we exchanged information and I found out that writing and speaking were his main interests in being tutored. This left the remainder of the hour for Abdhul and I to speak freely and get to know one another, and he is in the United States to pursue a graduate degree in technology that either looks for more progressive solutions for usages of existent technology, or it improves features and aspects of existing or new to come on the scene technology. It seemed pretty cool to me as a direction, and he has already been accepted conditionally into many universities for this masters program, but it was apparent from meeting Abdhul that he would need a lot more attention to simpler types of comprehension, speaking, and writing. His wish was to have someone help him to speak more fluently, with new vocabulary so he could communicate better in his surroundings, but I could also tell he was faking his way through some of the conversation trying to get me to keep going or make the decision of when and how to meet, what to do and what have you myself. Some of the conversation it was obvious was his cultural politeness for allowing me to feel like he was giving me the courtesy, but some of it was plain lack of comprehension. I did find out about his life and goals, and we planned to do some speaking exercises next time we met, and to speak on the weekend. He did mention that he lived with a group of young Saudi men in an apartment, and needed to practice something else besides Arabic which is all they spoke outside of school. In the next meeting I would find out what we would need to work on, and possibly a direction, but after this meeting we essentially got comfortable with speaking for a hour straight.

1 comment:

  1. "Faking" is a great tool to apply when learning a second language! As you get more comfortable with each other, you can let him know to ask you a clarification question if he doesn't understand.

    ReplyDelete