Thursday, July 7, 2011

Jeff D. CP3

I met with Hoa for the third time on Sunday the 3rd in the evening and we got a coffee and walked around lake Ella, then went to Border's book store, and finally to Lofty Pursuits for ice- cream. I found out that Hoa likes ice-cream and music with heavy bass, so on the ride back to his lab, we listened to some Lil Wayne with the bass turned up to max in my car and he seemed to be grooving right along the whole ride and attentive to the music. I tried to explain our Lil Wayne as a sort of cultural phenomenon as opposed to an icon or role model, but we both agreed he is pretty good and makes you want to get down. The conversation in general for this meeting, although it tends to go in many directions for when we get together outside of class we spend much more time than an hour together, but in this meeting we spoke more of Vietnam, and he spent some time trying to encourage me to possibly teach there. We king of just hung out after what was for both of us a long week, and as far as speaking was concerned I became a little more comfortable with correcting him and explaining vocabulary, and he really seemed to enjoy the book store as we looked at science books, and he explained slowly but very eloquently Shrodegers Cat, and the funny story of infidelity that led to its discovery. He wanted to know what my favorite books were, and I showed him a few, but said he probably should wait until he has some more time to attack some of the silly pretentious literature I like to read, only because many Native speakers, and myself included sometimes find them daunting. In any case I am finding in speaking with Hoa that it is easy to stretch conversations into new avenues for him for he always carries that note pad and looks up and writes down definitions of new vocabulary, and I am pretty sure he is more intelligent than I. We will be meeting before the TEFL class on Thursday the 7th and it is something I look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Schrodinger's Cat is an impressive feat for someone like me to talk about, hats off to Hoa.

    I hope its okay to make two song suggestions[?]

    1. Lil Wayne and Shakira- between the two of them there's a plethora of cultural phenomenon. Their song "Give it up to me" (listen but don't watch- music video is awful)

    2. Way of Life by Dead Prez- In case he needs a beat when the lab gets too hectic or if he's training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this was a good time to relax and get even more comfortable with each other. These kinds of experiences are what the students really remember for years to come.

    ReplyDelete