Wednesday, July 13, 2011

DeRobbio TP #2

Since this Monday was the fourth of July we decided to have our second tutor session again as a group. When we met the girls told me they were very confused by Tallahassee's spastic weather and how it would thunderstorm, and than be sunny all within an hour. I told them this was very common and occurs in many parts of Florida similarly. Joselyn told me that it rarely rains where she is from in Puerto Rico, and if it does than it will be very severe for a long period of time. Antonia is Chinese, and she was living in Taiwan where the weather is controlled and it is a tropical climate. I brought some exercises I had found on the computer prepared for them. The TOEFL IB test practice lessons I used were targeted at listening so Antonia could get practice, and I added an oral component for Joselyn. The first lesson was a conversation between a man and a woman about renting a house. After the conversation played I asked the girls questions about what they discussed and than asked them to play out the same situation between each other. The second lesson was a man on the phone making a dinner reservation. This time they already had the questions I was going to ask before they listened and we read them and I checked their answers after to make sure they were comprehending what they were hearing. Overall I think the session went well and I've learned how important planning is and to make sure you have material to cover the entire time period. Next session I will try to do a run through before I meet with my tutees.

1 comment: