Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Erin - CP 4

Today, my conversation partner couldn't make it to tea time, so I spoke with a few other students instead. First, I spent time with Habib, who is from the Ivory Coast. He told me all about how he did two undergraduate degrees back home in business and marketing and would like to do his Master's in the same kind of subject somewhere in Florida...English is the only real challenge. He said that he doesn't like FSU because there are too many students but that he doesn't like Tallahassee because it's too slow, which I can relate to. We had a discussion comparing Uganda and the Ivory Coast, about how cities in the Ivory Coast aren't quite as chaotic as those in Uganda, but how both cities in both countries are much more hectic and challenging to deal with than cities in the U.S. because they are not very well-organized and have extra factors such as motorcycle taxis.
I also spoke with Daniela when she came; apparently all of the CIES students had been telling her that she should meet my conversation partner because they are both from Colombia. When I found out she is studying business at TCC, I discovered that we have a mutual friend and discussed what school is like at TCC. She also told me that she will be transferring to FSU this coming school year. Before long, we joined Habib and a group of other students in a rousing game of BS. I'm not sure that most of the students understood the acronym, and they definitely took a few turns to understand the concept of the game. There were several turns of, "But what if I don't have that card?" until everyone finally comprehended that they needed to lie a lot in order to win...Once he got the hang of it, Muhammad had a great time calling "BS" every time someone put down a card. I had never spent time with this group of students, mostly from the Middle East, before because I had always been talking only to my partner, and I had so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment