Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nic CP1

My first visit with my conversation partner, Joungouk Park, went well. I thought the conversation flowed naturally. It took some effort to find a balance of letting him lead the conversation and then me leading the conversation.

He said one of his goals was to speak English smoothly.

Joungouk already has a good grasp of English. His receptive vocabulary is high with an expanding productive vocabulary. Is pronunciation is good with the biggest “beautiful mistake” showing up with the R’s (e.g. “Everybody Loves Laymond” or “Pletty Little Liahs”). Any suggestions on helping with the R’s/L’s would be appreciated.

We both learned a few new words: He taught me how to say his hometown and name correctly, and I expanded his knowledge of the word nostalgia (we were talking favorite movies, and I shared with him that “Winnie-the-Pooh” is my favorite movie because it is nostalgic). I think the things he appreciated the most were my attempts to pronounce the Korean words correctly, and allowing him to lead the conversation.

1 comment:

  1. Ask Jaime about the r's and l's! She got her two tutees saying them beautifully during their first session :)

    ReplyDelete