Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brian - TP1

Finally, I met my tutee: Mr. Jung. Our first meeting was productive, informative, positive, and intriguing. He is friendly, hard working, clear about the goals he seeks to reach, and tenaciously motivated to perfect his English.
In my opinion he is crossing over to a level seven, from level six. This is because of his word form errors, for example, “I feel boring.” However, he is understandable; you get the gist of what he wants to say. Jung and I will attempt to improve his listening and writing skills, with, perhaps, the emphasis being on listening; he feels weak in this. Yet, he understood me very well.

2 comments:

  1. my Tutee Nakjoon has a reading and comprhension level of eight, but his writing is five, and his speaking is 6 but very gaurded until he warms up, so I found it interesting that Nakjoon felt weak in all these areas but knew very well what I was saying or with one explanation everything we spoke of. The thing he and I are working on is his writing for he is going to Grad School at FSU this fall and his writing although very clear, remains minus some articles, and disjointed from our western form. I told him we could do assigments, but also to bring me some of his old papers so we could go over them in depth and I could show him a proper sentence as an example for some of his mistakes. thanks Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to take it beyond the "plateau". See http://www.cambridge.org/other_files/downloads/esl/booklets/Richards-Beyond-Plateau.pdf

    ReplyDelete