Friday, July 8, 2011

Katie- CP 3

Later Wednesday afternoon I met with Yasuko, my Japanese language partner, at CIES. She began by asking me for help on her composition homework, which I had a very difficult time explaining despite just having watched the video in class about the differences in writing essays in different cultures. Yasuko frequently reverted back to Japanese throughout my attempted explanation, and I had a difficult time myself remembering to speak only in English. When I had made things a little clearer for her, we took a trip to the ATM and then to the bank so that she could get cash and exchange cash for quarters. On the way to the ATM she stopped to buy lemonade from one of the Mom and Pop’s stands and was very excited to pay in cash for the first time. On the way back from the bank we stopped by the bookstore because Yasuko wanted to pick out an English book to read. Yasuko chose Diary of a Wimpy Kid to read, happily paying in cash for the second time of the day. On the way back to her apartment she offered to invite me over some day so that I could speak with her daughter, who has teaching experience I believe here in America. Throughout the time we spent together it was a mixture of Japanese and English that I felt very guilty for after dropping her off. She sent me an email to thank me again for helping her and in my reply I told her next time we would have to speak only in English! I will have to closely monitor myself, as sometimes I get a little too excited at the opportunity to practice, or my previously mentioned preference to certain Japanese phrasings, that I lose sight of the purpose of our meeting. On Monday I will be taking Yasuko to Mike’s Seafood to show her the various Japanese foods they have there. I think Jaime will be joining, which should help me monitor myself to speak only English!

2 comments:

  1. She is very comfortable working with you, and I know that your Japanese does help with grammar term translations- or they did when you helped me tutor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's comfortable with me because if she doesn't know how to say something she can immediately switch to Japanese and I'll most likely understand. It takes away that if they don't understand me the first time I need to think of a different way to say it so that they understand aspect... :/ imho, lol ^^;;;

    ReplyDelete