Friday, July 8, 2011

Katie- TP 4

Wednesday night I had my third meeting of the day with JongOuk for our first official tutoring session. I had gone to the library to try to find some level appropriate books that I hoped JongOuk might like the day before, but he didn’t seem very interested in them, so we decided to go to the library together on another day so he could pick out his own book. JongOuk quickly found a few short, easy stories online, though, and we began going through a shortened version of Rapunzel, taking turns reading so he could hear the words and then say them himself, me making pronunciation corrections along the way. He needed surprisingly few corrections, and I told him I thought his English was quite good. He confessed, however, that while reading things out loud he wasn’t actually comprehending anything that he was saying, and after barely getting through the first paragraph of re-reading what we had gone through on his own, he decided the story was too boring. We decided a trip to the library would definitely be necessary for the next session. Afterwards we discussed various television shows and our experience watching shows in the languages we are learning as a way to study. I think after our next session, which will likely be concentrated on not only pronunciation but also comprehending what you’re reading while reading out loud, we will watch a movie or show together, similar to what I intend to do with Jia. After the session was over JongOuk helped me with some Korean pronunciation and then we joined DongSeok and Nic and went to dinner together.

3 comments:

  1. That is great that you were able to meet Nic and his partner up for dinner afterwards! Also, I like how you exercised different outlets until you found one that finally stuck with your TP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good deal Katie! I gave JongOuk and Dongsoek a few show recommendations. On Monday, I'll show them young adult fiction at the library. They really like "Everybody Loves Raymond".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He confessed, however, that while reading things out loud he wasn’t actually comprehending anything that he was saying." This is important to remember when doing this in reading class.

    ReplyDelete