Friday, July 8, 2011

Larry TP - 4

It was an utter and complete disaster! Rosa and Miyra comprehended nothing. They had no idea what I was doing or trying to explain! They were lost. I brought new handouts. This time, I thought it would be nice to give them a vocabulary list of singulars and see if they knew the plurals. Nada! Nothing! Zippo! I couldn't explain what I wanted them to do. As part of my handout, I included the letters of the alphabet along with a separate list of the vowels. We went over those after a quick review of the previous lesson. We gave both the English and Spanish version of the alphabet. Later in the lesson, I planned to introduce definite and indefinite articles in an attempt to give them the blocks for building simple sentences. I figured they would need to know the vowels in order to select the appropriate article "an" from "a". I also included other sets of pronouns in the handouts, i.e. demonstrative and interrogative pronouns. Lastly, I included a simple sheet with the headings "Subject", "Verb", and "Object." We used the dictionaries I had given them to define the meaning of those parts to a sentence. I had hoped I could teach enough about the articles, so they could also use one or two in a sentence. I demonstrated by example pointing to the simple exercises I had given them in all the handouts.
When the time had ended, I asked "are there any questions?" Rosa looked up at me, nodded at the handouts, and said "no comprende". Miyra was equally confused. Rosa wanted me to speak Spanish.
I wondered if I had selected two women who only had minimal interest in learning English, if this level best suits itself to someone who is fluent in Spanish and can easily translate directions as needed, or...if I just did not do a very good job in preparation. I suspect the latter.
If anyone reads this blog, I could use some helpful suggestions. Thanks

2 comments:

  1. First, I admire your enthusiasm in teaching. In one lesson you did vocabulary, plurals, articles, and sentence structure. This is quite a bit for any level of foreign language learner to review in one session. What level are Rosa and Miyra at? I think rather than try to review several grammar points it would be best to thoroughly explain one concept until they are able to understand to a point that they will be comfortable in using after their study sessions with you. I say that with a grain of salt, as I am one who is always eager to push through new material. However, if Rosa and Miyra are just beginning in their English journey, one could hardly blame them for being overwhelmed.

    At the risk of sounding incredibly cliche...

    “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.” – Confucius

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I think starting with something easy; a hurdle that is easily jumped could help them in gaining confidence for future hurdles that will be harder to scale.

    And, maybe something fun would help lighten things up: Dinner, a game, a walk around town may be something fun. Who knows, they may end up learning something in the process.

    Best of luck Larry!

    ReplyDelete