Friday, July 1, 2011

Carlos-TP1

On thursday I met with my tutees through CIES. Their names were Mohammed Aljebreen from Saudi Arabia and Dongseok Lee of South Korea. Both were extremely friendly and we had a very warm conversation introducing ourselves. This was especially enjoyable because we were from three different continents and knew nothing about each other. I explained to my tutees how excited I was about this experience and that I couldn't wait to start learning from each other through this tutoring process. As we continued to get to know each other, Mohammed told me he had visited the Philippines before and that he thought it was very beautiful. He even knew some basic phrases that surprised me. I learned that he's traveled quite a bit but this was his first time to Florida. It was Dongseok's first time to the states as well. Dongseok is closer to my age and I could tell he was a little younger than Mohammed. Dongseok was very friendly as well but had a harder time communicating. He explained that he wanted to focus on getting better at having conversations. In South Korea, students study English grammar and writing so he wanted to focus on his weakness. Mohammed on the other hand was comfortable speaking and wanted to focus on proper grammar. Although they both wanted to learn different things from the tutoring sessions, I decided to have them both meet me on Friday so I could gauge out how well their English is. From there, I will probably meet with them separately so I can focus on each of their needs.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good to hear about Dongseok. I'm his CP, and I'm working on his conversation skills, as well. Good luck on tutoring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about Mohammed, but I know Dongseok is capable of being pushed and critiqued. Challenge these guys!

    ReplyDelete